Friday, August 16, 2019

Day 4

Thursday 8th August.



Head chef at a local golf club, fed and watered both me and Barkley for free! Oh and of course recharged my battery.

Back on the road.

Disaster. The back brake disk came loose, the second one to do this, and sheared through the back wheel motors cable. Took me a good half hour to smash what was left of it off so I could move it again. Left I where it was and knocked on the doors of a few houses that were relatively close by, luckily one was occupied.
The couple that owned the house had just bought it, it was their dream home. Initially they were very helpful, the woman getting me tools while , when he arrived home, the man helping me fix the bike and seemingly quite chatty.  They told me the only person they knew was a farmer from next door, who was currently helping them widen their driveway with his digger. After a while a man pulled up on a motorbike and spoke briefly to the women then left, she didn't seem to know him. I struggled on with the wheel, the man spoke to his wife and asked if I needed anything from the store for my bike, and if I did would drive me there as he was going anyway. When we returned the man and wife spoke to each other and I carried on with the bike. It was at this point I noticed the man's attitude changed. It felt very much like he wanted me to hurry up and leave, and he wasn't exactly hiding it. This was stark contrast to how they had both been earlier. I got the hint and even though he knew there wasn't anywhere for miles, watched me push the bike out of his yard still broken. It was all very strange.
I managed to half push half cycle the behemoth of a tricycle to a cafe a few mile down the road where they let me store my bags while I set camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments